"Wisdom is perishable. Unlike information or knowledge, it cannot be stored in a computer or recorded in a book. It expires with each passing generation."
- Nato: Russian troops are in Ukraine Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:11:10 GMT
- Nato releases satellite images which it says show Russian forces inside Ukraine to help rebels fight government troops - a claim Russia denies.
- IS 'kills dozens of Syrian soldiers' Thu, 28 Aug 2014 16:03:47 GMT
- Islamic State (IS) militants appear to have killed "dozens" of Syrian soldiers captured after gaining control of the Tabqa airbase, activists say.
- Ebola Africa travel bans to be axed Thu, 28 Aug 2014 23:05:07 GMT
- West African health ministers meeting in Ghana follow WHO advice and lift travel restrictions on countries affected by the Ebola outbreak.
- UN peacekeepers held in Golan Thu, 28 Aug 2014 16:46:26 GMT
- Forty-three UN peacekeepers are being held by an armed group in the Syrian Golan Heights, amid heavy fighting between rebels and the army.
- Google trials drone deliveries Thu, 28 Aug 2014 22:00:23 GMT
- Google reveals it has built and tested its own drones as part of a plan to make automated deliveries to remote homes as well as disaster-hit zones.
- Pitt and Jolie wedding announced Thu, 28 Aug 2014 13:14:36 GMT
- Actors Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are now married, according to a spokesman for the Hollywood couple.
- Pakistan PM named as murder suspect Thu, 28 Aug 2014 17:45:32 GMT
- Pakistani police name Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif as a suspect in the murder of 14 followers of an anti-government cleric in Lahore, officials say.
- Erdogan sworn in as Turkey president Thu, 28 Aug 2014 20:48:45 GMT
- Recep Tayyip Erdogan is officially sworn in as Turkish president after winning the country's first ever public vote for head of state.
- Nigeria launches electronic ID cards Thu, 28 Aug 2014 18:45:51 GMT
- Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan formally launches a national electronic identity card, which can also be used to make payments.
- Iceland examines volcano 'cauldrons' Thu, 28 Aug 2014 11:40:59 GMT
- Scientists in Iceland say they are examining several depressions, termed 'cauldrons', near Bardarbunga volcano, which could be a sign of an eruption.
- Historic Afghan minaret 'threatened' Thu, 28 Aug 2014 15:21:54 GMT
- One of Afghanistan's architectural marvels, the minaret of Jam in Ghor province, is in danger of collapse, officials tell the BBC.
- Police seize video gamer live on cam Thu, 28 Aug 2014 16:06:35 GMT
- Armed police dramatically raid the office of a video gamer near Denver, US - and the incident was broadcast live online.
- VIDEO: Police seize gamer during live broadcast Thu, 28 Aug 2014 15:22:53 GMT
- A video gamer in Denver was dramatically involved in a raid by armed police acting on an assumed hoax call - and the incident was broadcast live online.
- VIDEO: Esha Ness cave is 'UK's biggest' Thu, 28 Aug 2014 10:50:57 GMT
- Geologist Jonathan Swale claims that the Calders Geo sea cave at Esha Ness in Shetland is the largest in Britain.
- VIDEO: Millionaires search Med for migrants Thu, 28 Aug 2014 23:02:35 GMT
- A philanthropist couple have launched what they say is the world's first privately funded boat to help migrants in trouble at sea.