"I do not mean to suggest that our handsome, newly enlarged library is to be a headquarters of busy bookworms, old and young, routinely absorbing knowledge by the hour while birds sing outside and the Mets fight it out for last place in the National League. On the contrary, a good library is a joyful place where the imagination roams free, and life is actively enriched."
—John K. Hutchens
- Burkina Faso leader 'ousted' - army Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:11:18 GMT
- Burkina Faso President Blaise Compaore is no longer in power, an army spokesman tells demonstrators in the capital, Ouagadougou.
- Key Jerusalem holy site reopens Fri, 31 Oct 2014 08:56:12 GMT
- Israel reopens a key Jerusalem holy site after its temporary closure following the shooting of a prominent Jewish activist.
- Lawsuit over Malaysia missing plane Fri, 31 Oct 2014 08:40:12 GMT
- Two children whose father was on Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 which disappeared file a lawsuit against the airline and Malaysia's government.
- Charity warns US on Ebola quarantine Fri, 31 Oct 2014 04:51:34 GMT
- Charity Doctors Without Borders warns some mandatory US state Ebola quarantine measures are having a "chilling effect" on its work.
- Russia-Ukraine deal secures EU gas Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:08:33 GMT
- Russia will resume gas deliveries to Ukraine this winter in a deal brokered by the European Union, which will also safeguard supplies to EU countries.
- IPCC debates 'most important' report Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:34:14 GMT
- Scientists and government officials are meeting in Copenhagen to edit a report on the causes, impact and solutions to global warming.
- Deadly blast at Nigeria bus station Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:57:53 GMT
- At least eight people die in an explosion at a major bus station in Gombe state in north-eastern Nigeria, witnesses tell the BBC.
- Hungary scraps controversial web tax Fri, 31 Oct 2014 12:57:00 GMT
- Hungary shelves a proposed tax on internet data traffic after tens of thousands of Hungarians marched against it.
- Myanmar in rare multi-party talks Fri, 31 Oct 2014 07:20:20 GMT
- Myanmar's president is holding rare roundtable talks with the opposition, military and ethnic groups, as the US calls for "credible" elections next year.
- BOJ boosts monetary stimulus measure Fri, 31 Oct 2014 10:34:29 GMT
- Japan's central bank, the Bank of Japan, surprises markets by announcing an expansion of its monetary stimulus policy.
- US police killing suspect captured Fri, 31 Oct 2014 10:26:50 GMT
- A US man who has eluded police in the forests of Pennsylvania for seven weeks after the fatal shooting of a police officer has been found.
- Four dead in Kansas airport crash Thu, 30 Oct 2014 21:45:27 GMT
- At least four people were killed and five injured when a small plane crashed into an airport building in Wichita, Kansas, officials say.
- VIDEO: Baby pandas wrestle with their keeper Fri, 31 Oct 2014 12:23:55 GMT
- A breeder in China's Chendgu province was trying to give these two baby pandas medicine instead of their usual bamboo leaves- and they were having none of it.
- VIDEO: Lab for world’s worst animal viruses Fri, 31 Oct 2014 00:10:15 GMT
- A look around a new lab at Pirbright Institute in Surrey, where the world’s most contagious livestock viruses will be kept.
- VIDEO: Prototype flying car shown off Fri, 31 Oct 2014 08:18:17 GMT
- BBC Click looks at some of the week's technology highlights, including a flying car and electric rollerskates.