"The instruction we find in books is like fire. We fetch it from our neighbours, kindle it at home, communicate it to others, and it becomes the property of all."
—Francois Marie Arouet Voltaire (1694-1778) French philosopher, writer, Candide
- Russia urges Ukraine ceasefire talks Mon, 01 Sep 2014 07:02:46 GMT
- An "immediate ceasefire" in Ukraine must be the priority for key negotiations taking place on Monday, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says.
- Protesters storm Pakistan state TV Mon, 01 Sep 2014 07:18:58 GMT
- Pakistan's national television channel is taken off air after anti-government protesters storm the state broadcaster's offices.
- Man held over New Zealand killings Mon, 01 Sep 2014 06:29:56 GMT
- Police in New Zealand detain a man suspected of shooting two people dead and injuring a third at an unemployment office.
- Official heckled amid HK poll anger Mon, 01 Sep 2014 06:42:49 GMT
- Hong Kong pro-democracy activists disrupt a speech by a Beijing official, a day after China ruled out a direct leadership election in 2017.
- Poland commemorates WW2 invasion Mon, 01 Sep 2014 07:20:00 GMT
- Poland marks the 75th anniversary of the Nazi invasion that sparked World War Two, with a wreath-laying ceremony attended by the prime minister.
- India unveils new village toilets Mon, 01 Sep 2014 04:07:30 GMT
- An Indian charity unveils 108 new lavatories in a village which gained notoriety when two young girls were found hanged from a tree there in May.
- Coalition locked in terror aim talks Mon, 01 Sep 2014 07:17:18 GMT
- Negotiations between Conservatives and Lib Dems are to continue ahead of the unveiling of a new plan to tackle the threat of Islamic extremists.
- Cuba introduces new customs limits Mon, 01 Sep 2014 01:37:06 GMT
- Cuba restricts the amount of foreign goods that travellers can bring into the country, where locally-made items are scarce and expensive.
- Japan and India hold security talks Mon, 01 Sep 2014 05:00:50 GMT
- Rare earths and a nuclear pact on the agenda as Indian PM Narendra Modi meets Japan's leader, on his first major foreign visit since taking office.
- China factory growth misses forecast Mon, 01 Sep 2014 02:13:05 GMT
- China's manufacturing activity misses expectations in August, indicating that the country's economy may be losing momentum.
- Xenon and argon banned for athletes Sun, 31 Aug 2014 23:53:44 GMT
- Doping experts have yet to find an effective test to uncover athletes using the gases xenon and argon to boost performance, as a ban is introduced.
- Jennifer Lawrence nude photos leaked Mon, 01 Sep 2014 06:33:52 GMT
- Naked pictures of celebrities including Rihanna, Ariana Grande and Victoria Justice are posted online, but some stars claim the photos are fake.
- VIDEO: Are e-cigarettes safe? Sun, 31 Aug 2014 10:31:20 GMT
- Inside Out goes to the lab to investigate what is in e-cigarettes while we unwrap the arguments surrounding them.
- VIDEO: China rules out open Hong Kong poll Sun, 31 Aug 2014 15:04:13 GMT
- China rules out open nominations for the next Hong Kong leadership election, in a move that has dismayed pro-democracy activists.
- VIDEO: Libya militia take US embassy pool Sun, 31 Aug 2014 20:03:44 GMT
- Armed militia have taken over the US compound in Tripoli and discovered the embassy pool, a month after American staff left for security reasons.