"Nothing more rapidly inclines a person to go into a monastery than reading a book on etiquette. There are so many trivial ways in which it is possible to commit some social sin."
—Quentin Crisp (b. 1908) British author
- Militants claim deadly Kenya attack Sat, 22 Nov 2014 15:49:12 GMT
- Militants from Somali group al-Shabab say they attacked a bus in northern Kenya, killing 28 people, in revenge for security raids on mosques.
- West 'seeks Russia regime change' Sat, 22 Nov 2014 13:26:46 GMT
- Western sanctions against Russia over its role in Ukraine are aimed at forcing regime change in Moscow, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says.
- Ebola 'stable' in Guinea - WHO Sat, 22 Nov 2014 15:33:53 GMT
- The deadly Ebola outbreak is now "stable" in Guinea, the country where the latest crisis began, the World Health Organization says.
- 'Big gaps' hamper Iran nuclear talks Sat, 22 Nov 2014 15:19:01 GMT
- Important sticking points remain in talks with Iran, Western powers warn, as negotiations on Tehran's nuclear programme enter their final stages.
- Iraq troops battle IS in Ramadi Sat, 22 Nov 2014 13:18:21 GMT
- Iraq's army launches an operation to retake parts of Ramadi in Anbar province, a major city largely controlled by Islamic State militants.
- Thai king's absence sparks concern Sat, 22 Nov 2014 11:24:17 GMT
- King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand fails to appear for a scheduled event, raising fresh concerns about his health.
- Madagascar plague outbreak kills 40 Fri, 21 Nov 2014 22:38:35 GMT
- An outbreak of plague in Madagascar has killed 40 people and infected dozens of others, the World Health Organization says.
- US 'to expand' Afghan combat role Sat, 22 Nov 2014 11:30:28 GMT
- US troops in Afghanistan will have a broader role than initially planned next year, as their combat mission draws to a close, US officials say.
- Bahrain holds disputed election Sat, 22 Nov 2014 12:55:52 GMT
- Voters are going to the polls in Bahrain's first parliamentary elections since Arab Spring protests in 2011, but many Shias are urging a boycott.
- Portugal ex-PM held over tax fraud Sat, 22 Nov 2014 14:24:13 GMT
- The former prime minister of Portugal, Jose Socrates, has been arrested in Lisbon as part of an investigation into money-laundering and bribery.
- Mexico vows action on rule of law Sat, 22 Nov 2014 03:05:58 GMT
- Mexico's government vows to take action on the rule of law and restore credibility in institutions, after the disappearance of 43 students.
- Brown's father urges calm in Ferguson Sat, 22 Nov 2014 04:10:29 GMT
- The father of a man shot dead by police in Ferguson, Missouri, has appealed for peace ahead of a grand jury decision against the officer.
- VIDEO: Ukraine uprising: One year on Fri, 21 Nov 2014 22:40:38 GMT
- Services have been held in Ukraine to mark the anniversary of the mass protests which sparked the downfall of former president Viktor Yanukovych.
- VIDEO: 100-year-old sees ocean for first time Sat, 22 Nov 2014 05:36:19 GMT
- The moment a 100-year-old American woman, Ruby Holt, sees the ocean for the first time.
- VIDEO: YouTube studios for internet stars Fri, 21 Nov 2014 11:27:26 GMT
- YouTube is investing millions of dollars to set up professional studios which are free to use for anyone who has at least five thousand subscribers.