"History is a living horse laughing at a wooden horse. History is a wind blowing where it listeth. History is no sure thing to bet on. History is a box of tricks with a lost key. History is a labyrinth of doors with sliding panels, a book of ciphers with the code in a cave of the Saragossa sea. History says, if it pleases, Excuse me, I beg your pardon, it will never happen again if I can help it."
—Carl Sandburg (1878-1967) American writer known for free verse, Smoke and Steel
- Deal struck to calm Ukraine crisis Thu, 17 Apr 2014 21:48:41 GMT
- Russia, Ukraine, the US and the European Union say all sides have agreed to steps to "de-escalate" the crisis in eastern Ukraine at talks in Geneva.
- Weather blights S Korea ferry search Thu, 17 Apr 2014 23:09:22 GMT
- Bad weather, murky water and strong currents are hampering the search for more than 270 people missing after a South Korean ferry sank.
- Author Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies Thu, 17 Apr 2014 23:30:19 GMT
- The Nobel prize-winning Colombian author Gabriel Garcia Marquez, author of One Hundred Years of Solitude, dies in Mexico aged 87, his family says.
- Deadly attack on South Sudan UN base Thu, 17 Apr 2014 21:44:44 GMT
- Dozens of civilians sheltering in a UN base in the South Sudan city of Bor have been killed in an attack by armed youths, the UN says.
- Ex-BP worker fined over shares trade Fri, 18 Apr 2014 00:10:09 GMT
- A BP employee who oversaw the cleanup of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in 2010 agrees to settle a charge of insider trading.
- Peru evacuates Ubinas volcano area Fri, 18 Apr 2014 00:36:30 GMT
- The authorities in Peru say they are evacuating 4,000 people living near the Ubinas volcano, in the south of the country, because of increased activity.
- Pistorius forensic tests challenged Thu, 17 Apr 2014 14:50:29 GMT
- The tests carried out by a forensic expert for Oscar Pistorius' murder trial are rigorously challenged by the state prosecutor in South Africa.
- French troops free Mali aid workers Thu, 17 Apr 2014 19:20:05 GMT
- French troops in Mali free five aid workers who were kidnapped in the north of the country by suspected Islamist militants in February.
- Rob Ford launches re-election bid Fri, 18 Apr 2014 01:06:39 GMT
- Embattled Toronto Mayor Rob Ford kicks off his re-election campaign at an event his brother calls "history in the making".
- Iran has 'cut uranium stock' - IAEA Thu, 17 Apr 2014 23:04:37 GMT
- Iran has neutralised half of its higher-enriched uranium stockpile, in keeping with a deal agreed earlier this year, the world's nuclear watchdog says.
- Mini-sub performs full MH370 search Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:35:38 GMT
- A mini-sub searching for the missing Malaysian plane completes a full mission at its third attempt, after technical issues cut the first two short.
- Abu Hamza 'used cover of religion' Thu, 17 Apr 2014 16:46:44 GMT
- A radical cleric extradited from the UK "used the cover of religion" to hide his part in a global terror campaign, a prosecutor in New York says.
- VIDEO: 'We want to be part of Russia' Thu, 17 Apr 2014 22:24:18 GMT
- The BBC's Natalia Antelava visits a camp site of the self-declared people's Republic of Donetsk.
- VIDEO: French far-right 'opens arms' to UKIP Thu, 17 Apr 2014 22:42:39 GMT
- The leader of the French far right-wing Front National party has said that she would welcome collaboration with UKIP with "open arms".
- VIDEO: Pistorius trial shown prosthetic leg Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:35:57 GMT
- The prosthetic leg belonging to Oscar Pistorius has been shown to the court during his murder trial. He denies murder, claiming he mistook Reeva Steenkamp for a burglar.