"The instruction we find in books is like fire. We fetch it from our neighbours, kindle it at home, communicate it to others, and it becomes the property of all."
—Francois Marie Arouet Voltaire (1694-1778) French philosopher, writer, Candide
- Australia batsman Phillip Hughes dies Thu, 27 Nov 2014 12:52:11 GMT
- Australia cricketer Phillip Hughes dies in hospital, two days after being hit on the neck by a ball during a match in Sydney.
- Indian girls 'killed themselves' Thu, 27 Nov 2014 12:49:13 GMT
- Two Indian teenagers found hanged in May took their own lives, federal investigators say, contradicting reports they were gang-raped and murdered.
- European MPs want Google break-up Thu, 27 Nov 2014 12:15:51 GMT
- A landmark vote at the European Parliament has called for Google's search business to be separated from its other businesses.
- Afghan attack hits UK embassy car Thu, 27 Nov 2014 12:37:55 GMT
- A suicide bomber strikes a UK embassy vehicle in the Afghan capital Kabul, with a British worker and an Afghan staff member among those killed.
- Crime author PD James dies aged 94 Thu, 27 Nov 2014 13:58:04 GMT
- Crime novelist PD James dies at the age of 94, her agent says.
- Israel 'foils Jerusalem attacks' Thu, 27 Nov 2014 13:47:19 GMT
- Israel says it has uncovered a Hamas cell in the West Bank that was planning to carry out a series of attacks in Jerusalem, including one on a stadium.
- Ebola vaccine trial 'promising' Wed, 26 Nov 2014 22:39:51 GMT
- The first human trial of an experimental vaccine against Ebola suggests that it is safe and may help the immune system to combat the virus.
- Spain is not corrupt, says PM Rajoy Thu, 27 Nov 2014 12:24:20 GMT
- Spanish leader Mariano Rajoy tells MPs that most politicians are not corrupt, a day after his health minister stepped down over a kick-back scandal.
- 'No new grand jury' in Ferguson case Thu, 27 Nov 2014 05:21:59 GMT
- Missouri's governor reportedly rejects calls for a new grand jury to decide if a white police officer who killed a black teenager should be charged.
- Kim sister given senior N Korea role Thu, 27 Nov 2014 05:03:44 GMT
- The younger sister of North Korea's leader Kim Jong-un is referred to as a senior official for the first time by state media.
- Malaysia PM reverses sedition pledge Thu, 27 Nov 2014 09:16:45 GMT
- Malaysian PM Najib Razak goes back on a pledge to repeal a controversial sedition law, saying it will instead be strengthened.
- UK net migration rises to 260,000 Thu, 27 Nov 2014 12:56:31 GMT
- The government is set to miss its immigration targets as net migration to the UK reaches its highest level since the 2010 general election.
- VIDEO: Parrots find home in Caracas Thu, 27 Nov 2014 03:21:20 GMT
- Caracas, the Venezuelan capital, is notorious for its crime and pollution, but it also, somewhat strangely for a city, has a thriving population of macaws.
- VIDEO: Why are Thais raising three fingers? Thu, 27 Nov 2014 11:52:43 GMT
- A Thai protester says the military government has reacted aggressively to their use of the salute featured in the Hunger Games films.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Thu, 27 Nov 2014 11:11:46 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.