"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."
—John Burroughs (1837-1921) American naturalist, writer
- MH17 remains 'still at crash site' Tue, 22 Jul 2014 21:24:11 GMT
- The search for victims of the Malaysia Airlines crash in Ukraine must go on as only some 200 bodies have been recovered so far, Dutch officials say.
- UN chief: 'Start talking' over Gaza Tue, 22 Jul 2014 17:22:48 GMT
- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon pushes for an end to the Gaza conflict with a call in Israel for both sides to "start talking".
- Airlines halt flights into Israel Tue, 22 Jul 2014 21:07:01 GMT
- US and European airlines suspend flights into Israel's Ben Gurion airport after Israeli police confirmed that a rocket landed one mile away.
- Poisoned spy death inquiry announced Tue, 22 Jul 2014 16:20:31 GMT
- The government announces a public inquiry into the death of Alexander Litvinenko, the former KGB officer poisoned with radioactive polonium in London.
- Call to end FGM 'in this generation' Tue, 22 Jul 2014 18:19:05 GMT
- Parents face prosecution in the UK if they fail to prevent daughters undergoing female genital mutilation or forced marriage, under new measures.
- Joko Widodo wins Indonesia poll Tue, 22 Jul 2014 14:41:18 GMT
- Jakarta Governor Joko Widodo has been declared the winner of Indonesia's hotly-contested presidential election.
- US courts conflict on Obamacare law Tue, 22 Jul 2014 20:04:04 GMT
- Two US appeals courts give conflicting rulings regarding a federal regulation implementing key subsidies of President Barack Obama's signature healthcare law.
- 'Foreigners' killed in Kabul attack Tue, 22 Jul 2014 08:50:21 GMT
- A suicide bomber outside Kabul airport kills at least one Afghan and at least three foreign security guards, officials say.
- Microsoft profit falls on Nokia loss Tue, 22 Jul 2014 20:20:40 GMT
- Technology giant Microsoft reports a 7% fall in profits to $4.6bn in the second quarter, hit by a $692m loss at its newly-acquired Nokia handset division.
- Turkish police held in wiretap probe Tue, 22 Jul 2014 12:13:39 GMT
- At least 67 Turkish police are arrested on suspicion of wire-tapping linked to a corruption inquiry targeting the prime minister's inner circle.
- Children dead in French bus crash Tue, 22 Jul 2014 16:30:36 GMT
- Five children and an adult are killed in a minibus crash near the French city of Troyes, south-east of Paris, officials say.
- Queen's horse fails drugs test Tue, 22 Jul 2014 19:37:15 GMT
- Estimate, a racehorse owned by the Queen, has tested positive for the prohibited substance morphine.
- VIDEO: 'Miracle' survivor of Gaza blast Tue, 22 Jul 2014 17:57:48 GMT
- UN officials say more than 100,000 people have been forced to take shelter in UN buildings in Gaza because of the violence - double the number of the Gaza conflict five years ago.
- VIDEO: Relatives mourn Israeli soldier deaths Tue, 22 Jul 2014 20:41:42 GMT
- Relatives of soldiers killed in Israel in the on-going fighting with Palestinians have spoken to the BBC as the UN secretary-general calls for an end to the conflict.
- VIDEO: Concordia to be towed to Genoa Tue, 22 Jul 2014 20:18:25 GMT
- The wrecked Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia will be towed to its home port Genoa, where it will then be scrapped.