"Life is a library owned by an author. It has a few books which he wrote himself, but most of them were written for him."
—Harry Emerson Fosdick (1878-1969) American religious leader
- 'Ethnic slaughter' in South Sudan Mon, 21 Apr 2014 14:07:47 GMT
- Hundreds of people were killed because of their ethnic group after South Sudan rebels seized the oil hub of Bentiu last week, the UN says.
- Russia says Kiev 'breaking accord' Mon, 21 Apr 2014 14:03:45 GMT
- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov accuses the Kiev authorities of breaking last week's Geneva accord on resolving the Ukraine crisis.
- Boston marathon honours bomb victims Mon, 21 Apr 2014 14:19:06 GMT
- Thousands of marathoners take to the streets of Boston as the city honours those killed and injured in a bomb attack last year at the marathon's finish line.
- Ferry deaths 'murder' - Korea leader Mon, 21 Apr 2014 11:30:33 GMT
- South Korean President Park Geun-hye condemns the conduct of some of the crew of the ferry that sank last week, calling it "akin to murder".
- Boy survives flight in wheel well Mon, 21 Apr 2014 07:06:33 GMT
- A 16-year-old boy survives an extraordinary journey hidden in the wheel well of a five-hour flight from California to Hawaii.
- MH370 hunt 'still drawing blank' Mon, 21 Apr 2014 04:21:49 GMT
- A robotic submarine scanning for signs of missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 is two-thirds through its ocean scan but has yet to find any trace.
- Syria to hold June presidential poll Mon, 21 Apr 2014 12:59:02 GMT
- The speaker of Syria's parliament says a presidential election will be held on 3 June, despite a civil war that has left an estimated 150,000 dead.
- Japan warns over China ship seizure Mon, 21 Apr 2014 10:04:05 GMT
- China's seizure of a Japanese cargo ship over a pre-war debt could hit business ties, Japan's top government spokesman warns.
- PM's Christianity remarks 'divisive' Mon, 21 Apr 2014 14:33:33 GMT
- Leading public figures claim PM David Cameron risks causing division in society with his recent comments that the UK is a Christian country.
- Everest Sherpas demand better terms Mon, 21 Apr 2014 09:30:38 GMT
- Sherpa guides in Nepal demand more compensation for the families of 13 of their colleagues killed in an avalanche on Mount Everest.
- Myanmar democracy elder Win Tin dies Mon, 21 Apr 2014 14:09:53 GMT
- Win Tin, the journalist who helped found Myanmar's pro-democracy movement and served 19 years in prison for his activism, dies at the age of 85.
- Family says farewell to Peaches Mon, 21 Apr 2014 14:29:45 GMT
- Friends and family join Sir Bob Geldof to pay their last respects to his daughter Peaches, as her funeral is held in Kent.
- VIDEO: Bride kidnapping in Kyrgyzstan Sun, 20 Apr 2014 23:09:36 GMT
- State authorities in Kyrgyzstan are trying to fight practices of bride kidnapping in the country. Two victims of bride kidnapping spoke to the BBC.
- VIDEO: Boston runners recall marathon attack Sun, 20 Apr 2014 23:00:46 GMT
- Doctor Natalie Stavas finished last year's Boston Marathon just as the bombs exploded, and now the runner turned first responder prepares to run again.
- VIDEO: Cubans trace roots to African village Mon, 21 Apr 2014 06:06:27 GMT
- A community in western Cuba has traced songs they sing back to a village in Sierra Leone.