"The experience to be gathered from books, Though often valuable, is but of the nature of learning; Whereas the experience gained from actual life, Is of the nature of wisdom; And a small store of the latter Is worth vastly more than a stock of the former."
—Samuel Smiles (1812-1904) Self Help -1859
- Russia in new Ukraine attack threat Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:36:54 GMT
- Russia will respond to any attack on its interests in Ukraine, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says, drawing a parallel with the 2008 Georgia war.
- Plane search examines coastal debris Wed, 23 Apr 2014 12:39:52 GMT
- Authorities in Australia are looking at material washed ashore to find out if it is related to the missing Malaysia Airlines plane.
- Obama pledges Japan islands support Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:51:38 GMT
- US President Barack Obama tells Japan that islands it disputes with China are covered by a bilateral defence treaty, as he begins an Asian tour.
- More held in S Korea ferry disaster Wed, 23 Apr 2014 09:54:22 GMT
- Authorities in South Korea arrest four more crew members from the ferry that sank last week and raid the offices of companies linked to its owners.
- Dancer's death sparks Rio clashes Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:40:15 GMT
- Weeks before the World Cup, deadly clashes break out in the Brazilian city of Rio after the body of a young man is found, allegedly beaten by police.
- NYPD Twitter campaign 'backfires' Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:28:34 GMT
- Twitter users bombard the New York Police department with images depicting police aggression in the latest social media campaign to go awry.
- Blair warns West over radical Islam Wed, 23 Apr 2014 09:22:26 GMT
- Tony Blair warns Western leaders they must put aside their differences with Russia over Ukraine to focus on the threat of Islamic extremism.
- S Sudan attacks 'an abomination' Wed, 23 Apr 2014 10:49:07 GMT
- The massacre of hundreds of civilians in South Sudan is an "abomination" and a betrayal of the people by their leaders, the White House says.
- Bomb 'kills senior Egypt policeman' Wed, 23 Apr 2014 09:30:35 GMT
- A senior Egyptian police officer has been killed by a bomb blast in the capital, Cairo, officials say.
- Pirates raid Malacca Straits tanker Wed, 23 Apr 2014 08:11:37 GMT
- Armed pirates raid an oil tanker sailing in the Malacca Straits, stealing diesel and abducting three crew members, officials in Malaysia say.
- Everest Sherpas discuss boycott Wed, 23 Apr 2014 09:14:30 GMT
- Sherpa guides in Nepal are meeting climbers at Everest base camp to decide whether to continue ascents after an avalanche on Friday killed 16 of their colleagues.
- Pakistan TV station in shooting row Wed, 23 Apr 2014 10:45:30 GMT
- Pakistan's biggest news channel should be shut for airing claims the country's spies were behind an attack on presenter Hamid Mir, the defence ministry says.
- Uruguay FA in mass resignation Mon, 31 Mar 2014 22:23:10 GMT
- The entire board of Uruguay's Football Association quits, amid a crisis over violence and security at football games.
- Future of the net debated in Brazil Wed, 23 Apr 2014 09:20:02 GMT
- Tensions emerge ahead of a meeting being held in Sao Paulo, Brazil, to discuss changes to the way the internet is governed.
- Brunei delays tough new Islamic law Wed, 23 Apr 2014 04:57:53 GMT
- The South east Asian nation of Brunei postpones the introduction of tough Sharia criminal punishments that were due to begin on Tuesday.