"Perhaps a modern society can remain stable only by eliminating adolescence, by giving its young, from the age of ten, the skills, responsibilities, and rewards of grownups, and opportunites for action in all spheres of life. Adolescence should be a time of useful action, while book learning and scholarship should be a preoccupation of adults."
—Eric Hoffer (1902-83) American philosopher
- Fresh Gaza strikes amid soldier hunt Sat, 02 Aug 2014 08:16:08 GMT
- Israel carries out fresh strikes on Gaza and militants launch more rockets into Israel, as a hunt continues for a missing Israeli soldier.
- China factory blast kills dozens Sat, 02 Aug 2014 04:53:20 GMT
- An explosion at a factory in eastern China has killed at least 65 people and left scores injured, according to Chinese state media.
- Australian pair abandon Down's baby Sat, 02 Aug 2014 02:59:13 GMT
- An online campaign for a baby with Down's Syndrome left with his surrogate Thai mother by an Australian couple has raised over $120,000 (£70,000).
- Massive landslide near Nepal capital Sat, 02 Aug 2014 06:30:11 GMT
- A massive landslide on a river near the Nepalese capital Kathmandu buries dozens of homes, with six people so far confirmed dead.
- Americans in N Korea plead for help Sat, 02 Aug 2014 05:06:21 GMT
- Two American tourists charged with "anti-state" crimes in North Korea have appealed for the US government to help secure their release.
- UK suspends Tripoli embassy services Sat, 02 Aug 2014 02:03:37 GMT
- The Foreign Office says operations at the UK embassy in Tripoli are to be temporarily suspended as violence worsens in Libya.
- Cameron urges Russia-Nato rethink Sat, 02 Aug 2014 04:39:52 GMT
- Nato needs to rethink its long-term relationship with Russia following its "illegal" actions in Ukraine, Prime Minister David Cameron warns.
- Judge urges Argentina default talks Fri, 01 Aug 2014 21:29:16 GMT
- In the first hearing since Argentina defaulted on its debts, US judge Thomas Griesa calls for negotiations to be resumed urgently.
- Obama defends under-fire CIA director Fri, 01 Aug 2014 21:17:35 GMT
- President Barack Obama has defended CIA Director John Brennan and acknowledged the US tortured prisoners after 9/11.
- Mexican media denounces 'gag law' Sat, 02 Aug 2014 00:47:29 GMT
- Mexican journalists denounce a new law that introduces a number of restrictions on crime reporting in north-eastern Sinaloa state.
- Police 'chokehold' caused NYC death Fri, 01 Aug 2014 20:55:29 GMT
- A medical examiner has ruled that a police officer's "chokehold" caused the death of a man in New York.
- Foreigners 'owe millions in fines' Sat, 02 Aug 2014 00:43:16 GMT
- Councils are missing out on millions of pounds every year because foreign drivers are not paying parking fines, the Local Government Association says.
- VIDEO: Germany's only WW1 exhibition Sat, 02 Aug 2014 00:48:56 GMT
- The Berlin Historical Museum is holding the only exhibition in Germany to look at the war and its European and global implications.
- VIDEO: Rare contact with remote Amazon tribe Thu, 31 Jul 2014 16:19:24 GMT
- A group of previously isolated indigenous people from the Amazon has come face to face with a settled community of villagers for the first time in the Brazilian state of Acre, according to authorities.
- VIDEO: Last of the scissor makers Thu, 31 Jul 2014 23:33:30 GMT
- Eric Stones has been making scissors by hand for 58 years.