"There is no remedy so easy as books, which if they do not give cheerfulness, at least restore quiet to the most troubled mind."
—Lady Mary Wortley Montagu (1689-1762) English society figure, letter writer
- US marines and aircraft reach Nepal Sun, 03 May 2015 18:10:39 GMT
- Nepal's only international airport restricts larger aircraft because of concerns over its runway, as the post-earthquake aid effort continues.
- Freed women tell of Boko Haram horror Sun, 03 May 2015 19:27:55 GMT
- Former hostages held by Boko Haram fighters in Nigeria say some of their fellow captives were stoned to death by the militants.
- Thousands of migrants rescued at sea Sun, 03 May 2015 19:44:24 GMT
- More than 5,800 migrants are rescued and 10 bodies recovered in several operations in the Mediterranean over the weekend, Italy's coastguard says.
- Ethiopian Jews protest in Tel Aviv Sun, 03 May 2015 21:26:43 GMT
- Hundreds of Ethiopian Jews protest against police brutality and racism in the Israeli city of Tel Aviv, leading to violent clashes.
- Baltimore lifts post-riot curfew Sun, 03 May 2015 17:53:32 GMT
- National Guard troops begin leaving Baltimore and a curfew is lifted, as tension subsides following rioting over the custody death of a black man.
- Families pay visit to new princess Sun, 03 May 2015 17:01:53 GMT
- The Prince of Wales and other close relatives visit Kensington Palace to meet the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's new baby daughter.
- Costa Rica shipwreck sparks alert Sun, 03 May 2015 22:49:37 GMT
- The Costa Rican government issues an alert along about 100 km (60 miles) of coast near Puntarenas, after a vessel carrying tons of toxic chemicals sinks.
- Nigeria troops 'killed civilians' Sun, 03 May 2015 23:07:45 GMT
- Community leaders in central Nigeria accuse government troops of killing civilians and burning villages following the deaths of six soldiers.
- Saudis 'used cluster bombs' in Yemen Sun, 03 May 2015 09:56:56 GMT
- Human Rights Watch says it has evidence Saudi Arabia used cluster bombs banned by much of the world, including the UK.
- German train drivers set for strike Sun, 03 May 2015 22:28:34 GMT
- Drivers for Germany's Deutsche Bahn plan a week-long strike to start on Monday, their eighth walkout in 10 months of wage negotiations.
- New York policeman shot in the head Sun, 03 May 2015 06:48:20 GMT
- A plainclothes policeman is seriously injured by a shot to the head while attempting to question a man in New York's Queens borough.
- VIDEO: Shells rip through homes in Ukraine Sun, 03 May 2015 14:21:52 GMT
- Heavy shelling took place overnight in Donetsk. One Ukrainian soldier and two civilians have been killed in the past 24 hours.
- VIDEO: Drone films Nepal quake destruction Sun, 03 May 2015 16:12:30 GMT
- Aerial footage filmed by a drone shows the devastation caused in the Sindhupalchok district, near the epicentre of the earthquake in Nepal.
- VIDEO: Video shows migrant rescues off Libya Sun, 03 May 2015 11:57:47 GMT
- Video has been released by the Italian coastguard showing one of many migrant rescues on Saturday off the coast of Libya.
- VIDEO: Nepal areas 'still waiting for aid' Sun, 03 May 2015 16:45:13 GMT
- Sanjoy Majumder reports on the problem of aid distribution to those affected by the Nepal earthquake