"A book is a friend; a good book is a good friend. It will talk to you when you want it to talk, and it will keep still when you want it to keep still; and there are not many friends who know enough to do that."
—B. A. Billingsly
- Iraq moves against IS in Tikrit Mon, 02 Mar 2015 15:41:46 GMT
- Iraq launches a military operation to recapture Saddam Hussein's hometown of Tikrit from Islamic State.
- Ukraine truce 'still not complete' Mon, 02 Mar 2015 15:37:35 GMT
- John Kerry accuses rebels of a "piecemeal" approach to the ceasefire agreement for eastern Ukraine, withdrawing weapons in only selective areas.
- Bill Gates tops Forbes rich list Mon, 02 Mar 2015 15:59:42 GMT
- Bill Gates is declared the richest man in the world for the second year running by Forbes magazine's annual ranking of global billionaires.
- 'No disrespect' in Netanyahu speech Mon, 02 Mar 2015 16:18:00 GMT
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says his upcoming speech to Congress is "not intended to disrespect" President Barack Obama.
- Thieves raid museum in French castle Mon, 02 Mar 2015 14:05:17 GMT
- Thieves take 15 "priceless" Chinese artefacts from Fontainebleau castle in France, in a raid that lasted just seven minutes.
- Police question Nemtsov girlfriend Mon, 02 Mar 2015 12:07:14 GMT
- Russian police are still questioning the Ukrainian girlfriend of opposition politician Boris Nemtsov, who was with him when he was shot dead in Moscow.
- US police shoot homeless man dead Mon, 02 Mar 2015 10:55:55 GMT
- A video captures the moment three US police officers shoot dead a homeless man during a scuffle in the Skid Row area of central Los Angeles.
- Emwazi 'not huge concern' at school Mon, 02 Mar 2015 10:23:52 GMT
- Islamic State militant Mohammed Emwazi was never suspected of being radicalised during his school days, his former head teacher says.
- Bangladesh arrest over writer murder Mon, 02 Mar 2015 12:35:14 GMT
- Police in Bangladesh arrest a radical Islamist for alleged involvement in the hacking to death of atheist writer Avijit Roy.
- Namibia president wins $5m award Mon, 02 Mar 2015 11:11:24 GMT
- Outgoing Namibian President Hifikepunye Pohamba wins the world's most valuable individual award, the Mo Ibrahim prize for African leadership.
- Brooks set for new role at News Corp Mon, 02 Mar 2015 11:56:51 GMT
- Rebekah Brooks, the former chief executive of News International, is to be re-hired by Rupert Murdoch.
- Ikea debuts phone-charging furniture Mon, 02 Mar 2015 12:44:43 GMT
- Furniture giant Ikea has unveiled a range of furniture fitted with wireless charging spots for mobile devices.
- VIDEO: Rivals size up at mobile phone show Mon, 02 Mar 2015 15:33:56 GMT
- Mobile phone industry leaders and innovators are at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.
- VIDEO: Giant cake served for Rio's birthday Mon, 02 Mar 2015 09:20:31 GMT
- The city of Rio de Janeiro in Brazil has been celebrating its 450th anniversary, with events including the baking of a 450-metre long birthday cake for the residents.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Mon, 02 Mar 2015 12:20:18 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.